US President Donald Trump has said Huawei could be part of a trade deal between the US and China, despite branding the telecoms firm “very dangerous”.
The US-China trade war has escalated in recent weeks with tariff hikes and threats of more action.
Washington has also targeted Huawei by putting the firm on a trade blacklist.
The US argues Huawei poses a national security risk, while Beijing accuses the US of “bullying” the company.
“Huawei is something that is very dangerous,” Mr Trump told reporters at the White House on Thursday.
“You look at what they’ve done from a security standpoint, a military standpoint. Very dangerous.”
- Trump declares emergency over IT threats
- Huawei: The world’s most controversial company?
- Huawei’s use of Android restricted by Google
Last week, the Trump administration added Huawei – the world’s second largest smartphone maker – to its “entity list”, which bans the company from acquiring technology from US firms without government approval.
But Mr Trump has said it is “possible” that the company could be part of any trade agreement with Beijing.
“If we made a deal, I could imagine Huawei being possibly included in some form or some part of it,” he said.
The News Source is www.bbc.com